- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional salt, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, mustard, vinegar and water until smooth. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and parsley; drizzle with sauce; stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt if desired; garnish with bacon. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Deluxe German Potato Salad
"Not enough sauce for 5 pounds of potatoes. I kept warm in the oven and it came out very dry. Would not recommend."
"Good, but I thought there was too much vinegar. I served it room temperature, then we had cold leftovers. I might try the vegetable mix with a different dressing next time."
"The only way this differs from my German Potato Salad is the shredded carrots. Also, too much sugar."
"I never made German Potato Salad, but I always wanted to try making it. It sounded too complicated to me when I was a young cook, but this recipe sounds easy, now that I'm a more experienced cook. I plan to make it for our next gathering, but I'll definitely cut down quite a bit on the sugar, since I've always heard that it's supposed to be a little on the 'tart' side, with (only) an 'undertone' of sweetness. Either way, I'm sure it will be delicious! Thanks for posting this lovely recipe."