Deluxe Bacon Burgers
I CREATED this recipe and won a red ribbon for it in a 1976 cookbook contest. It's like meat loaf in a bun, so it's very hearty. Sometimes I'll serve it with gravy and without the bun.
When I prepared this for dinner, I always felt my family was well fed.
-Bernadine Dirmeyer, Harpster, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 lettuce leaves, optional
- 8 hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix gently. Shape into eight patties. Wrap a bacon
- strip around each patty; secure with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet, cook burgers until meat is no longer pink and
- bacon is crisp. Remove toothpicks. Serve on lettuce-lined buns if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 412 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.