I CREATED this recipe and won a red ribbon for it in a 1976 cookbook contest. It's like meat loaf in a bun, so it's very hearty. Sometimes I'll serve it with gravy and without the bun. When I prepared this for dinner, I always felt my family was well fed. -Bernadine Dirmeyer, Harpster, Ohio
Recommended: 20 Cheeseburger-Inspired Recipes
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 lettuce leaves, optional
- 8 hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix gently. Shape into eight patties. Wrap a bacon strip around each patty; secure with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet, cook burgers until meat is no longer pink and bacon is crisp. Remove toothpicks. Serve on lettuce-lined buns if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Deluxe Bacon Burgers in Reminisce May/June 2000, p45
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Deluxe Bacon Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review