Delightful Strawberry Dessert
My area is known for its strawberries, so I prepare this delicious and easy treat often. It always gets raves and prompts recipe requests.—Lynne Wilhelm, West Hill, Ontario
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup
- sugar and cream of tartar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently
- fold in crumbs, coconut and pecans. Spread onto the bottom and up
- the sides of a 9-in. pie plate.
- Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool
- completely. In a bowl, beat cream, gelatin and remaining sugar until
- stiff peaks form. Fold in strawberries; pour into shell. Refrigerate
- for 2 hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.