Delightful Devil's Food Cake Recipe
There's more than chocolate in this luscious layer cake. The creamy ricotta cheese frosting is flavored with orange juice, mini chocolate chips and bits of candied cherries. —Betty Knorr, Chandler, Arizona
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons chopped red candied cherries
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk the egg, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients until combined.
- 2. Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Add batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- 3. For filling, combine ricotta, sugar and orange juice concentrate; fold in cherries and chips. Cut cake in half vertically. Spread filling over one half; top with remaining half.
- 4. In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 533 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 492 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC