- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons chopped red candied cherries
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk the egg, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients until combined.
- Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Add batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- For filling, combine ricotta, sugar and orange juice concentrate; fold in cherries and chips. Cut cake in half vertically. Spread filling over one half; top with remaining half.
- In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Delightful Devil's Food Cake in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007, p33
Reviews for Delightful Devil's Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review