Delightful Banana Cake Recipe
Nuts and chocolate chips add fun flavor in this cake that feeds a crowd. And there's so much delicious browned butter drizzle, you'll wonder how this one is light; but it is! Vicki Raatz - Waterloo, Wisconsin
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; mix well. In a small bowl, beat the bananas, sour cream, applesauce and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly; stir in water.
- 3. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in walnuts.
- 4. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add a third of the cake batter. Drizzle with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining batter.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 6. For drizzle, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter until lightly browned. Remove from the heat; stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 283 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC