Delicious Potato Doughnuts Recipe
I first tried these tasty treats at my sister's house and thought they were the best I'd ever had. They're easy to make, and the fudge frosting tops them off well. When I make them for friends, the recipe is always requested. —Pat Davis, Beulah, Michigan
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- FAST FUDGE FROSTING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the butter, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and enough of the flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat out to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. floured doughnut cutter.
- 2. In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry the doughnuts for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place on paper towels.
- 3. For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the water, butter and vanilla. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in frosting. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 doughnut equals 226 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC