- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- FAST FUDGE FROSTING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the butter, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and enough of the flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat out to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. floured doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry the doughnuts for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place on paper towels.
- For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the water, butter and vanilla. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in frosting. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Delicious Potato Doughnuts in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p27
Reviews for Delicious Potato Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2016
"I made these donuts years ago and they are fabulous! They also make a huge batch. They were very tasty for sure. I will make again for sure! Great recipe!"
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2008
"FAST FUDGE FROSTING RECIPE!!"
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2008
"how much nutmeg?"