Delicious Potato Doughnuts Recipe
I first tried these tasty treats at my sister's house and thought they were the best I'd ever had. They're easy to make, and the fudge frosting tops them off well. When I make them for friends, the recipe is always requested. —Pat Davis, Beulah, Michigan
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- FAST FUDGE FROSTING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the butter, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and enough of the flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat out to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. floured doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry the doughnuts for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place on paper towels.
- For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the water, butter and vanilla. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in frosting. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Delicious Potato Doughnuts in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p27
Reviews for Delicious Potato Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2008
FAST FUDGE FROSTING RECIPE!!
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2008
how much nutmeg?