Delicious Chicken Chili Recipe
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, saute the onions, green peppers and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add chicken; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until browned.
- 2. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 14 serving (3-1/2 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium tomatoes and broth and without added salt) equals 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 222 calories, 230 mg sodium, 49 mg cholesterol, 26 gm carbohydrate, 18 gm protein, 6 gm fat.