Delicious Almond Braids Recipe
Similar to an almond crescent, this coffee cake is light and flaky, with a rich almond center. It’s so versatile you can serve it for dessert, breakfast or brunch. It will taste as if it was made from scratch at a bakery, yet the packaged puff pastry makes the recipe quick and easy. —Gina Idone, Staten Island, New York
- 1 package (7 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Place the almond paste, butter and sugar in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add egg and flour; process until smooth.
- 2. Unfold puff pastry sheets onto a greased baking sheet. Spread half of the filling mixture down the center third of one pastry sheet. On each side, cut eight strips about 3-1/2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack.
- 4. Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and almond extract. Drizzle over braids; sprinkle with almonds. Cut into slices. Yield: 2 braids (6 slices each).
1 slice equals 430 calories, 25 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Delicious Almond Braids
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC