Delicate Lemon Pound Cake
My best friend shared the recipe for this delightful dessert. It goes great with a cup of tea, too. Notice that there is no leavening in the recipe—the carbonated soda does the job! —Kelly Ward Hartman, Cape Coral, Florida
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soda
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light
- and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
- after each addition. Stir in extracts. Add flour alternately with
- soda, beating just until combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan (pan will be
- full). Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10-20 minutes
- before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust
- with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.