Deep-Fried Potato Skins Recipe
"The combination of potatoes, cheese, bacon and garlic dip in this recipe is fantastic," says Leslie Cunnian of Peterborough, Ontario. "The skins can be served as an appetizer or as a side dish with roast prime rib or any other entree you choose."
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 to 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 teaspoons minced chives or green onion
- Bake potatoes at 400° for 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for dip, combine the sour cream, soup mix, onion, garlic and hot pepper sauce in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use). With a scissors, cut each potato half into three lengthwise strips.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry skins in oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Place potato skins in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Combine the cheeses and bacon; sprinkle over potatoes. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with the dip. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Deep-Fried Potato Skins in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p61
Reviews for Deep-Fried Potato Skins(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Comfort Food Appetizers >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- New Year's Appetizers >
- New Year's Recipes >
- New Year's Side Dish Recipes >