Deep-Fried Cherry Pies
“With a wonderfully flaky crust, these stuffed cherry pies always make a quick dessert,” Monica Larkin notes from Shinnston, West Virginia. “My family loves them after dinner or as a snack, but they’re also wonderful for my husband’s take-along lunch.” —Monica Larkin, Shinnston, West Virginia
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup whipped topping
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water just
- until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10
- Divide dough into four portions; roll each into an 8-in. circle.
- Place 1/4 cup of pie filling in the center of each circle. Fold
- dough over filling; secure with toothpicks.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat-fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to
- 375°. Fry pies, folded side down, in oil for 2-3 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Turn and fry 2-3 minutes longer. Drain on
- paper towels. Remove toothpicks. Serve with syrup and whipped
- topping. Yield: 4 servings.