Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 cup flour, oil and seasonings; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; roll out into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a well-greased 12-in. heavy ovenproof skillet or round baking pan, letting dough drape over edges. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- 4. In a skillet, saute the green peppers, onion and seasonings in oil until tender; drain. Layer half of the mixture over crust. Layer with half of the Parmesan, sausage and tomatoes. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella. Repeat layers. Fold crust over to form an edge.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pepperoni and remaining mozzarella. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 slices.
1 slice: 548 calories, 34g fat (14g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza
"Great recipe! I forgot to add the seasonings to the vegetables, it was still great. Next time I will use a tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes, as per family preferences."
"Wow!!! This is soooo good. Not your traditional pizza as it has no regular red sauce. It's like a gourmet pizza!! Will make again soon!"
"This is pretty good. I was surprised to discover that it didn't have a sauce, but all the ingredients are moist enough with the cheese that it makes it's own sauce. It was a really deep dish pizza, It has a lot of layers. If you like toppings, this is a pizza for you. It was really filling. 1 pizza would serve 4 people or more if you had a side. I liked the seasonings with it, especially because you use it in the crust and the toppings. We would make it again."
"My husband and son loved this pizza. I agree that you should drain everything as best you can. Oops! I forgot to grease the pan and the crust stuck, but it was still good! Nice seasonings and you can use whatever toppings you like."
"Very hearty family meal and the crust turns out fabulous!"
"This pizza was okay. Definitely not the best pizza I have ever made. The crust was hard on top (not soft like deep dish pizza) and it was soggy on the bottom. My suggestion to those who have not made this recipe before - make sure to really drain all the fluid out of your ingredients before making. I felt like I made more of a casserole than a pizza."
"I've made this dish several times and it is fabulous. We like alot of veggies on our pizza so I usually add in some sliced black olives and sliced mushrooms with the other veggies and I layer the pepperoni in with the sausage. It never fails to be a hit with my family. You really have to make this! :)"
"Excellent pizza. The flavor is wonderful. My kids and I loved it. My Husband didn?t care for it at all but he?s a picky eater. We will definitely make again?when Husband is out of town."
"Very good! The dough was excellent. Definately making it again!"
"Delicious and filling. Will add a few personal touches next time but all around 5 stars. A hint for everyone else, the dough won't feel as elastic as you might think it should but it's fine."
"According to my husband, this is the best homemade pizza we've ever made! The herbs in the crust make the crust awesome. A word to the wise: This is a very filling pizza. Once small slice is plenty."
"Didn't like the taste of the pizza. It was a bit soggy."
"My family and I love this pizza recipe! I have made it numerous times."
"Do you beat this with a mixer or by hand? I want to make this over the weekend, but want to be clear on the directions."
"Wow! Best Pizza recipe ever! Reminds me of a Chicago style pizza. I used Italian sausage."
"This is the best pizza ever! My husband won't let me make anything else."
"OMG.... I CAN'T WAIT TO TASTE!!"
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.