Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza Recipe
My Grandma made the tastiest snacks for us when we stayed the night at her farm. Her wonderful pizza, hot from the oven, was covered with cheese and had fragrant herbs in the crust. Now this pizza is frequently a meal for my husband and me and our two young daughters. —Michele Madden, Washington Court House, Ohio
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 cup flour, oil and seasonings; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; roll out into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a well-greased 12-in. heavy ovenproof skillet or round baking pan, letting dough drape over edges. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- 4. In a skillet, saute the green peppers, onion and seasonings in oil until tender; drain. Layer half of the mixture over crust. Layer with half of the Parmesan, sausage and tomatoes. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella. Repeat layers. Fold crust over to form an edge.
- 5. Bake for 400° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pepperoni and remaining mozzarella. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 slices.
1 slice equals 548 calories, 34 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,135 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC