Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 cup flour, oil and seasonings; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; roll out into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a well-greased 12-in. heavy ovenproof skillet or round baking pan, letting dough drape over edges. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- In a skillet, saute the green peppers, onion and seasonings in oil until tender; drain. Layer half of the mixture over crust. Layer with half of the Parmesan, sausage and tomatoes. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella. Repeat layers. Fold crust over to form an edge.
- Bake for 400° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pepperoni and remaining mozzarella. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 slices.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza(6)
Sort By :
This pizza was okay. Definitely not the best pizza I have ever made. The crust was hard on top (not soft like deep dish pizza) and it was soggy on the bottom. My suggestion to those who have not made this recipe before - make sure to really drain all the fluid out of your ingredients before making. I felt like I made more of a casserole than a pizza.
I've made this dish several times and it is fabulous. We like alot of veggies on our pizza so I usually add in some sliced black olives and sliced mushrooms with the other veggies and I layer the pepperoni in with the sausage. It never fails to be a hit with my family. You really have to make this! :)
Excellent pizza. The flavor is wonderful. My kids and I loved it. My Husband didn?t care for it at all but he?s a picky eater. We will definitely make again?when Husband is out of town.
Very good! The dough was excellent. Definately making it again!
Delicious and filling. Will add a few personal touches next time but all around 5 stars. A hint for everyone else, the dough won't feel as elastic as you might think it should but it's fine.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Pizza Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pizza Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >