Deep-Dish Pizza Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with beef.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine soup and seasonings; spoon over beef. Top with the green pepper, mushrooms and cheese.
Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pizza. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake pizza as directed, increasing time as necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 364 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Deep-Dish Pizza
"The crust on this is excellent and simple! We weren't really blown away by the sauce and will just use pizza sauce next time, but otherwise this is a major keeper! The kids ate every bite and told me to make it again (ages 5 and 3). The only thing I did different is I used a whole brick of mozzarella cheese on top and after it was done baking, I buttered the edges of the crust with 2Tbs melted Butter, 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt, 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder, and 1/4 tsp Parsley. Just for a tasty seasoned crust."
"I have to admit i was a little afraid my kids won't like it but they really did..they eat every bite!!!! The only thing I left out was the mushrooms."
"This is the best pizza recipe that I've tried.My husband gave me a thumbs up & he's not a fan of pizza!!Thanks TOH"
"my husband is not a big fan of pizza, but he loved this one, it's very good I wasn't sure about the sauce but it was awesome. All I did different was add some more toppings that we like, this is my go to recipe for pizza from now on..it's the best!!!!"
"This was a fabulous pizza. "
"FarmPrincess, deep dish pizza traditionally has a thick crust! I love the crust that way! If you want thinner crust, just make it in a larger pan."
"It looks good if all you want is dough."
"This sauce is fabulous!! This pizza was absolutely wonderful too!"
"Excellent recipe, looked and tasted great! I could tell my husband didn't want me to make pizza again... But I had to try one more recipe one more time and Tada!, my husband had two more helpings! I loved it myself too!"
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.