- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until a ball forms.
- Divide pastry into thirds. On a floured surface, roll two-thirds of the pastry to fit an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; line dish with pastry.
- For filling, melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Add the cream, broth, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chicken, peas, potatoes, carrots and onion. Pour into prepared dish. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of dish. Place over filling; seal edges. Cut slits in top; brush with milk.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Deep-Dish Chicken Potpie
"I have made this recipe many times since it first appeared in the October/November 1997 Country magazine. A family favorite! I do modify in that I use a 9x13 pan, and instead of lining the dish with crust just put all of it on top. I also replace half-and-half cream with milk. The dried thyme is what sends this over the top with flavor."
"Super easy to make."
"This recipe was delicious. I was having company, so I doubled it and added 2 cups frozen corn and put in a 9x13 dish. They all raved about how tasty it was."
"Excellent. Filling, and satisfying for a family meal. I would love to try the chicken and dumpling recipe that the sumitter says was her grandma's number one meal."