Deep-Dish Blackberry Pie Recipe
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- LATTICE CRUST:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1. Place blackberries in a bowl. Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over berries. Add lemon juice and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon into a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water; toss with a fork until a ball forms. Roll out pastry; cut into strips and make a lattice crust over filling. Crimp edges.
- 3. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 373 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Deep-Dish Blackberry Pie
"Thank you, thank you, thank you! Blackberry pie is my favorite, and I can never find it anywhere (I'm not much of a pastry baker)! I'll try making this one, but I'll be using a ready made crust. Hope it turns out ok. LOL"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.