Deep-Dish Beef Bake Recipe
When tomatoes and green pepper are plentiful in my garden, I slice the tomatoes and chop the peppers, then freeze them on baking sheets. When they're frozen, I put them in heavy-duty bags and store for later use in this casserole.—Karen Owen, Rising Sun, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and water until a soft dough forms. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with beef, tomatoes and green pepper.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the onions, 1/2 cup cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise; spread over top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are browned. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 321 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC