Deep-Dish Apple Pie Recipe
For an apple pie that is sure to be winner, try this recipe. The crust is so flaky and the filling is sure to please everyone.—Salem Cross Inn, West Brookfield, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 10 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. Place flour in a large bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a rectangle; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish; dot with butter.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim and flute edges. In a small bowl, whisk egg with milk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top. Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 208 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC