- Gradually add the sugar, oil, vanilla and chocolate mixture, beating
- until well blended. In another bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking
- soda, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture alternately
- with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or
- until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool
- For ganache, place chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan,
- bring cream and corn syrup just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir
- with a whisk until smooth.
- Let stand at room temperature to cool and thicken slightly, about 45
- minutes, stirring occasionally. (Mixture will be very soft, but will
- thicken when spread onto cake.)
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup ganache.
- Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining
- ganache over top and sides of cake. Yield: 24 servings.
TWO-LAYERED DEEP & DARK GANACHE CAKE & CUPCAKES: Prepare cake as directed, using twelve paper-lined muffin cups and two greased and parchment-lined 8-in.-square baking pans. Fill muffin cups three-fourths full; bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Divide remaining batter between prepared cake pans. Reduce oven setting to 325°; bake cake layers as directed. Yield: One 2-layered cake and 1 dozen cupcakes (24 servings).
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece (3-layered cake) equals 437 calories, 27 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.