Deep & Dark Ganache Cake Recipe
My ode to all things chocolate, this is a phenomenally rich and satisfying cake. — Tarra Knight, Benbrook, Texas
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- GANACHE FROSTING:
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in.-square baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- 2. Place chocolate in a small bowl. Pour hot coffee over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, oil, vanilla and chocolate mixture, beating until well blended. In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 4. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- 5. For ganache, place chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- 6. Let stand at room temperature to cool and thicken slightly, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Mixture will be very soft, but will thicken when spread onto cake.)
- 7. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup ganache. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining ganache over top and sides of cake. Yield: 24 servings.
1 piece (3-layered cake) equals 437 calories, 27 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC