Decorative Ginger Cookies Recipe
Add a festive ribbon to gingerbread boys to hang on your Christmas tree or display in other creative ways. Use different shapes of holiday cookie cutters for variety, if you wish. —Cheryl Wilt, Eglon, West Virginia
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Frosting of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, molasses, water, oil and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, ginger and cinnamon; add to molasses mixture and beat until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters of your choice. Using a floured spatula, place cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If cookies will be hung, use a plastic straw to make a hole about 1/2 in. from the top of each.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Use straw to reopen holes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Decorate with frosting if desired. Let dry completely. Thread ribbon through holes. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Decorative Ginger Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p9
Reviews for Decorative Ginger Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >