- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tinted frostings, colored sugars, edible glitter and nonpareils
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut out with Christmas cookie cutters of your choice. Using a floured spatula, transfer cookies to greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Decorate cookies with frosting and colored sugars. Yield: 6-7 dozen (2-1/2-inch cookies).
Reviews forDecorated Christmas Cutout Cookies
"I love this recipe and the cookies didn't make it a week!"
"This was very simple and my family loves them"
"Totally awesome cookie!"
"Beautiful dough and rolled out nice."
"Simple and tasty!"
"Excellent and the dough is easy to work with."
"The best sugar/butter cookies ever. I'm usually impartial to these types of cookies but these ones are fantastic. They won't last long!"
"These are the perfect cookies for decorating. They are nice and soft with a great light flavor that goes well by itself or with frosting."