Decorated Butter Cookies Recipe
Tender, crisp and flavorful, these versatile cookies from Doris Schumacher of Brookings, South Dakota can be decorated to suit any season or occasion. "Or you can just frost them lightly and top with toasted coconut," she notes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Colored sprinkles, colored sugar, ground nuts and/or chocolate sprinkles
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar; sprinkle with sprinkles, colored sugar or nuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 142 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC