Decorated Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Colored sprinkles, colored sugar, ground nuts and/or chocolate sprinkles
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar; sprinkle with sprinkles, colored sugar or nuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
2 each: 142 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Decorated Butter Cookies
"Very good flavor; a simple, classic recipe. However, the only problem I had was that the turned out very flat and thin not the crispy and chewy, slightly thick ones showed in the photo. I was a little disappointing about this, I used ungreased pans and chilled the dough but either way they were still very good, and nicely crispy. When flattening them, I find it is easy to spray the bottom of a glass or custard cup with cooking spray then dip in sugar between each cookie."
"Butter cookies are absolutely delicious and one we make any time we have all the ingrendients. Decorating them is even more fun and comes with a family evening. It turns out the cookies vanish so fast, we have to make a second batch."