Tender, crisp and flavorful, these versatile cookies from Doris Schumacher of Brookings, South Dakota can be decorated to suit any season or occasion. "Or you can just frost them lightly and top with toasted coconut," she notes.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Colored sprinkles, colored sugar, ground nuts and/or chocolate sprinkles
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar; sprinkle with sprinkles, colored sugar or nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Decorated Butter Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p65
Reviews for Decorated Butter Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review