Decadent Chocolate Crepe Cake Recipe
No other dessert has wowed family and friends the way this stunning crepe cake did the first time I made it. A 'showstopper" in every sense of the word, it features layers of tender chocolate crepes and rich white chocolate buttercream frosting draped in a semisweet chocolate ganache. —Tina Sawchuk, Ardmore, Alberta
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- WHITE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, sugar and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. (Batter will appear curdled.)
- 2. For buttercream, in a microwave, melt white chocolate with cream; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cream of tartar.
- 3. Place egg whites in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water; stir in the sugar mixture. Constantly whisk until mixture reaches 120-130° (do not overheat). Stirring gently, keep at 120-130° for 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to a mixing bowl.
- 4. With a whisk attachment, beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Reduce speed and beat for 5 additional minutes or until cool and stiff. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 5. In the same mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, beat butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in cooled white chocolate mixture. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the meringue into butter mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining meringue. Cover and refrigerate.
- 6. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 2 tablespoons crepe batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry about 2 minutes; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed.
- 7. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- 8. To assemble, place one crepe on a cake plate. Spread with 3 tablespoons buttercream. Repeat layers until 10 crepes are used. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat layering and chilling until 30 crepes are used, ending layers with a crepe. (Save remaining crepes for another use.) Refrigerate.
- 9. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream, corn syrup and salt just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache reaches a spreading consistency. Spread over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 781 calories, 56g fat (31g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Decadent Chocolate Crepe Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC