- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 can (5 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the soup, mushrooms, cheese, milk, tuna, pimientos, onion, mustard and salt. Drain macaroni; add to tuna mixture and mix well.
Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cornflakes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole before topping with cornflakes; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Top casserole with cornflakes and bake as directed; increase time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for De-Lightful Tuna Casserole
"Creamy and satisfying recipe. Only two things I did differently were I substituted chopped sun dried tomatoes instead of pimentos since it was what I had on hand and added a half cup of chopped broccoli to mixture. We had not made this in ages, and we liked this a lot."
"I liked this recipe for tuna casserole. I substituted 4oz can sliced mushrooms for the fresh mushrooms just to save some time. It was still very good! I will likely make this recipe again!"
"Bland. Didn't like it at all."
"I've been searching for the perfect tuna noodle casserole...this wasn't perfect...I'm still looking...but overall this was pretty good and until I find the perfection I am looking for I would probably make this again"
"Didn't have corn flakes, so put French fried onion rings on top-delicious!"
"This dish was fabulous! I'm not a fan of mushrooms so I added celery instead. It gave a nice touch to the recipe with a slight crunch. I also added onion powder as opposed to dried onion flakes. Maybe that gave it a bit more flavor? I will definitely be making this on a regular basis. easy and delicious!"
"I have been trying for years to get my 10 yr old son to eat Tuna casserole because it's always been one of my favorites! Using the macaroni noodles instead of wide egg noodles did the trick! We all love it."
"Made it tonite and didn't really care for it. Just no real personality, very so-so.Sorry!"