Daughter's Apple Crisp Recipe
My mom’s apple crisp is the best in all of Texas, honest! I tweaked it slightly, though, and now I spend less time in the kitchen and more time catching up with my spry 92-year-young mother. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. Place pie filling in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; dot with butter. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg just until moistened; sprinkle over filling.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC