Daughter's Apple Crisp
My mom’s apple crisp is the best in all of Texas, honest! I tweaked it slightly, though, and now I spend less time in the kitchen and more time catching up with my spry 92-year-young mother. —Joan Hallford,
North Richland Hills, Texas
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place pie filling in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; dot with butter.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in a large bowl. Cut
- in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg just
- until moistened; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until topping is
- golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream if
- Yield: 9 servings.