Date Swirl Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes stiff, about 15-20 minutes. Chill.
- For dough, cream butter and sugars in a bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extract. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle, about 1/4-in. thick. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up, starting with the long end. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Wrap with plastic wrap; chill overnight.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Date Swirl Cookies(4)
Sort By :
These cookies are the best. My Grandmother made them at Christmas, then my Mother made them at Christmas and, of course, now I make them for Christmas. My family loves them, reminds us of Grandma. This is her same recipe. When rolling them out, I use wax paper and flour it then roll out. After spreading the filling, I use the wax paper to help roll then wrap the same wax paper around the cookie roll and twist ends and freeze. Cut best after frozen as they do not freeze hard. Best to make ahead and just bake when you need them. Best cookie ever.
My husband's favorite, I used pitted dates and rough chopped them.
You must have read my mind. I have been thinking "I wonder where moms recipe for date swirl cookies are"? I couldn't find it so I will try these! I remember she always baked them for Christmas also. I can smell them baking now!
The work involved just didn't = the YUM factor scale on these.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >