THIS PUDDING has been our family's favorite dessert for Thanksgiving and Christmas for 65 years...and it's still on the menu.
At Christmas, I top each serving with a touch of green-tinted whipped cream and a red maraschino cherry.
Whenever I bring this pudding to a potluck supper, it gets rave reviews, along with requests for the recipe.
-Opal Hamer, St. Petersburg, Florida
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Whipped cream
- In a bowl, combine the dates, walnuts and sugar. In another bowl,
- beat egg, milk and vanilla. Add to date mixture; mix well. Combine
- flour, baking powder and salt; add to the date mixture.
- Spread into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; dot with butter. Bake at
- 325° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without whipping cream) equals 646 calories, 27 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 97 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein.