Date Pudding Cobbler
Meet the Cook: There were eight children in my family when I was a girl, and all of us enjoyed this cobbler. I now serve it for everyday and special occasions alike.
My husband and I have two grown children and four grandchildren. Three times in a row, I've been fortunate to win our church's pie-baking contest.
-Carolyn Miller, Guys Mills, Pennsylvania
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup water
- Whipped cream and ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and baking
- powder. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add milk, dates and
- In a large saucepan, combine water and remaining brown sugar; bring
- to a boil. Remove from the heat; add the date mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and fruit is tender.
- Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 312 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.