Date Pinwheels Recipe
This is a great recipe for a delicious cookie to serve at the end of any meal. The dates have such a wonderful flavor.—Ms. Lee B. Roberts, Racine, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:192 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide into four portions. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring the dates, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until mixture is thickened, about 15 minutes. Cool completely. Stir in pecans.
- 3. On a baking sheet, roll out each portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove waxed paper; spread with date mixture. Tightly roll up each portion jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 5. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, or freeze for up to 3 months. Yield: 16 dozen.
1 cookie equals 43 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC