Date Pecan Tea Bread Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Place dates in a large bowl. Combine boiling water and baking soda; pour over dates. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with date mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine spread ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices with 1/2 cup spread).
Reviews for Date Pecan Tea Bread(2)
Sort By :
I enjoyed this loaf and will make it again. The flavour of the dates and blend of spices is very nice. This is a moist loaf and ages well without drying out. Next time though, I think I will try using a bit less sugar because the loaf may border on being a tad too sweet for some. Otherwise, a recipe to keep!
can't go wrong with this recipe, its a keeper for all occassins