Date Oat Bars Recipe
My mother found this recipe in 1936. The citrusy treats taste just as good today as they did back then.—Joyce Eastman, Garden Grove, California
- 1-3/4 cups chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the dates, water, brown sugar and orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 4 minutes. Cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Stir in orange and lemon juices. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add oats and brown sugar; mix well. Set aside half for the topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- 3. Drop date mixture by small spoonfuls onto crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; press down gently. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 bar equals 126 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Date Oat Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC