- 1-3/4 cups chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, water, brown sugar and orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 4 minutes. Cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Stir in orange and lemon juices. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add oats and brown sugar; mix well. Set aside half for the topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Drop date mixture by small spoonfuls onto crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; press down gently. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Date Oat Bars in Reminisce November/December 2005, p 48
Reviews for Date Oat Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2010
very good i love dates