Date/Nut Pinwheels Recipe
This is a family favorite anytime, but especially at the holidays. Sometimes I'll freeze the dough and then bake the cookies when I have time.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:54 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- DATE FILLING:
- 1 package (16 ounces) whole pitted dates
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Sift together flour and baking soda. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs; blend well. Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed. Chill for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, place dates, sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until dates are tender and most of the water has evaporated. Stir in nuts; cool.
- 3. Divide dough into three portions. Between pieces of waxed paper, roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread 1/3 of the filling over each. Roll up from one of the long sides. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Dough may be kept in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Slice dough into 1/3-in. cookies.
- 4. Place on greased baking sheets and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 9 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 133 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC