- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- For filling, place dates, water and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until dates are tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in walnuts; cool completely.
- Roll each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Spread a third of the filling over each rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/3-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Reviews for Date-Nut Pinwheels
"I discovered pre-chopped dates contain sugar...so they don't stick together? Next time I will chop my own so I'll have control over the sugar. They were very stiff to roll for me so I'm going to try a little less flour also and a little less sugar in the dough. I would also like to try lemon zest in the dough. Very good!!!"
"These are a blast from past, cookies from children they are wonderful"
"These are fantastic. To fit my schedule, I made the date mixture and mixed up the dough one day, then assembled the next day. I still have a roll in the freezer available to pull out when I need a quick dessert. They're quite impressive looking."
"very good,everybody loves them"