Date Nut Meringues
It's always nice to make different recipes to enhance my Christmas cookie selection each year. Since I like to bake but not fuss too much, these old-fashioned chews are a good choice.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add
- sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in
- vanilla. Fold in dates and pecans.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm to the
- touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 75 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.