- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and corn syrup. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts and dates.
- Shape into four 6-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Originally published as Date Nut Icebox Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p92
Reviews for Date Nut Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review