Date-Nut Fruitcake Recipe
Unlike traditional fruitcake, with its dark color and dense texture, this fruitcake is light-colored and light-textured, flavored with orange, coconut, date, raisins and nuts. It was baked in a fluted cake pan to give it a different shape.—Linda Ault, Newberry, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in the coconut, raisins, dates, pecans and orange peel.
- 2. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 300° for 85-95 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Place a piece of waxed paper under rack.
- 3. In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and orange juice to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Stir in orange peel. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually spoon glaze over fruitcake. Cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 475 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC