Date-Nut Fruitcake Recipe
Unlike traditional fruitcake, with its dark color and dense texture, this fruitcake is light-colored and light-textured, flavored with orange, coconut, date, raisins and nuts. It was baked in a fluted cake pan to give it a different shape.Linda Ault, Newberry, Indiana
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in the coconut, raisins, dates, pecans and orange peel.
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 300° for 85-95 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Place a piece of waxed paper under rack.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and orange juice to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Stir in orange peel. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually spoon glaze over fruitcake. Cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Date-Nut Fruitcake in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p10
Reviews for Date-Nut Fruitcake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >