- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, dates and nuts. Add the eggs, butter and vanilla; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool bars on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Date Nut Bars in Reminisce Extra June 1994, p49
Reviews for Date Nut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2014
"My mother did this recipe in the 1950s, today it still works. A half-recipe works well for a smaller pan. Very stiff batter is normal."
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2014
"These are very good. I may add a pinch of cinnamon next time."