Date-Nut Apple Cake Recipe
WE have enjoyed this recipe for many years. It was given to me by a college friend. It looks like a standard fruit cake, but the rich, moist texture of apples, dates, raisins and nuts makes it a very satisfying dessert. A slice of this cake, topped with whipped cream, whipped topping or a big scoop of ice cream will have your guests coming back for more.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine dates and raisins. Add 1 tablespoon flour and toss to coat; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with boiling water. Stir in the apple, walnuts and reserved date mixture.
- 3. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 461 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC