Date-Nut Apple Cake Recipe
WE have enjoyed this recipe for many years. It was given to me by a college friend. It looks like a standard fruit cake, but the rich, moist texture of apples, dates, raisins and nuts makes it a very satisfying dessert. A slice of this cake, topped with whipped cream, whipped topping or a big scoop of ice cream will have your guests coming back for more.
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine dates and raisins. Add 1 tablespoon flour and toss to coat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with boiling water. Stir in the apple, walnuts and reserved date mixture.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Date-Nut Apple Cake in Reminisce October/November 2006, p49
Reviews for Date-Nut Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2015
"Very delicious and moist!"
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2011
"great flavor, everyone loved it. Have made it several times."