Date Muffins Recipe
Delightfully different and studded with dates and walnuts, these quick muffins from Judy Cunningham in Max, North Dakota round out any autumn meal and are also great with coffee or as a snack. TIP: FROZEN MUFFINS STAY DELICIOUS FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS.
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Place dates in a small bowl and add boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes (do not drain). Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg.
- 2. Add dates; beat on low speed until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; stir into date mixture with a wooden spoon just until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Muffins may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 8 muffins.
1 muffin equals 224 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC