This recipe from my sister originally made a pie. But I decided to turn it into a cookie with mouthwatering results. They're so easy to make and very tasty.—Jessie Bethune, Trion, Georgia
21 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cracker crumbs and baking powder.
- Stir in the coconut, pecans, dates and vanilla. In a small bowl,
- beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into coconut mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 300° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are
- lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 113 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.