Date Macaroons Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cracker crumbs and baking powder. Stir in the coconut, pecans, dates and vanilla. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into coconut mixture.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 113 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Date Macaroons
"This is a delicious cookie -- slightly crisp on the outside and slightly chewy too. My co-workers LOVED it!! I extended the baking time by about 4 minutes. Next time I plan to substitute some Splenda for part of the cup of sugar. But it is Delicious!"