Date-Filled Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool to room temperature. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 183 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Date-Filled Sandwich Cookies
"This recipe yields 36 Date-Filled Sandwich Cookies (3 Dozen). The recipe is made from scratch, but will take very little extra work for the cook! They will taste great. You can make a gift of these cookies."