Date-Filled Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Of all the cookies I've baked over the years, these have remained one of my all-time favorite. The dough is very easy to work with, and the result is eye-catching. —Debbie Rode, Oxbow, Saskatchewan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool to room temperature. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC