- 3/4 cup firmly packed chopped dates
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium heat 10 minutes until very soft. Add pecans; cool. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into an 8-in. square. Spread with date mixture; roll up jelly-roll style. Wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Date-Filled Pinwheels in Reminisce Extra June 2004, p52
Reviews for Date-Filled Pinwheels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review